Sunday 6 April 2014

Teaching in Korea

April 6, 2014

It may be because of the blog post I did yesterday, but for some reason I was thinking about my first few day in Korea.

I had NO idea what I was getting into when I headed to teach. I left everything that I knew (including a boyfriend of five years), so I could explore a new part of the world.

After getting off the plane, getting my luggage, and FINALLY finding my ride (he was late), we headed into Seoul. My ride was the manager of my school, ECC YBM. Mr Kim was a nice man that seemed to be limited in his English speaking.

He tried to explain that I'd be staying at a house until my apartment was ready. He was taking me to the house of the lady who cleaned the school. I didn't really understand what was going on. I was already viciously homesick, missing my boyfriend (we didn't break up until 2 or three months later,) and missing my family.

The only clear memory I have of the ride was him asking "Do you drink alcohol?" Unfortunately, I had NO idea what he was saying. I didn't clearly hear the word alcohol, and even if I had, I probably would not have known what the correct answer was. I think I smiled and nodded politely. 

Yes was the correct answer, by the way. Drinking seemed to be a great past time of both Koreans and foreigners. I skipped the party part of University, so I had a lot of catching up to do the year I was in Korea. I also travelled, went sight seeing, ate new foods, taught, and made new friends. 

The first few days were a little rushed, and I had no idea what was going on for the most of it. I trained for a day, and then followed a teacher around, started teaching on my own, and moved into an apartment (an awesome apartment). 

Those first three days made me pretty sure I wouldn't make it. If only I had known it was my relationship that wouldn't make it, and I would choose fun in Korea... I could have rested a little bit easier.

Either way, it was really Mr Kim I was thinking of today, and the warning he gave me (without meaning to) of life to come in South Korea. Best time ever. I think I'll tell some stories in posts some days when I'm not sure what to write about. I have many interesting and funny stories from those days. Not tonight though.

It was actually one of my first blog entries on my old blog (This is My Life). A bit of a picture explanation of the year I had just been through. I had an actual blog while in Korea as well, but it has since been taken down.

My Post Saying Goodbye to Seoul Click the link, if you want. That was my post shortly after coming home from Korea.




And as always:

©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please return the favour and Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.

Also, check out http://lifeisgoodandhereisproof.blogspot.ca/


No comments:

Post a Comment