Wednesday 27 August 2014

August Blog Challenge - School Story

Sunday, August 24 (Or should have been).

School Story

I went to the same school straight from kindergarten to grade 12. It wasn't a terrible time in my life, but it definitely wasn't the best time of my life. I wasn't a cool kid, and didn't have much of a social life. I don't feel like my first school story shaped me very much. I was shy and awkward most of the time, and probably tried to hard to fit in. I graduated in 1998.

In 2000, I started a new schooling adventure. After two years off, I went back to school. I started classes at the University of Regina. I had a student loan for all four years, and worked weekends and some evenings in the deli department of a grocery store. I wasn't sure what my major would be, but eventually decided on English. It fit the best. I really enjoyed all my psychology classes as well. There were a few courses I enjoyed that surprised me. I took Canadian history and Economics because they were required, and I really enjoyed both of them. I was dating G at the time, and I always lived off campus. I always hear stories about how great living in a residence was, and I feel bad that I never experienced it. G didn't go to University so I didn't do a lot of partying with my fellow classmates. Although I was never in the same class more than once with most of them. That was probably good. I worked hard those years, and finally graduated in 2004 with a BA in English. Strangely enough, my first year was the best. I had the best grades, and enjoyed my classes. I loved life in University. I didn't make a lot of friends (although I did at work), but I still really loved it.

I went back to school in 2007. After teaching English in South Korea, I realised when I came back that it's hard to find a job with an English degree. I worked at a furniture store, and had another loan. This time the loan was from the bank. In case anybody is wondering how the two compare, I would choose a Student Line of Credit over a government loan any day. This time I went to Broadcasting school. I was choosing a school that would give me a career this time. A hands on course to teach me radio and television broadcasting. I chose a career that doesn't make a lot of money, but I also chose one I love. It was a six month course. I hated the way it was run, and the way the teachers spoke to people, but I enjoyed learning about radio. I also got a job out of it. They helped me find one, and that's pretty great. I was definitely the oldest 'kid' in school, but it was smaller and we were in the same class every day, so it gave me time to learn about my classmates.

That's my school story. I went to three different schools, and have a high school diploma, a university degree, and a broadcasting diploma. Well worth it. I enjoyed all my learning.

Until next time.

And as always:
August Blog Challenge explanation:  http://erinisawriter.blogspot.ca/2014/07/august-blog-challenge.html

©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.

No comments:

Post a Comment