Wednesday 4 June 2014

Inspiring Writers

June 4

Talk about three other writers who inspire you.

First of all, there are many. I'm narrowing down my writers right now to the ones I know personally, and I'm not focusing just on authors, but writers of all types of writings. I also really think it's important to write about people I know. I rave about writers/authors who are strangers all the time.

This gives me a chance to show off about my writing friends. This post is going to take longer than I want to finish because I want to find the right words about each of these woman. The one thing all three of them have in common is they are incredibly intelligent and wonderful people. I hope I can do them justice in this.

Nehal El-Hadi http://nehalelhadi.com/

Not only has she been my biggest supporter through all my years of both writing and not writing (encouraging me to write always), but she's a great writer as well. She's also somebody I'm lucky enough to consider one of my best friends.

Nehal and I once wrote a children's story (meant to be a series) about a bullied purple mosquito named Amos. (Bullied by other insects; not humans). The only other time I've written a children's story was something small I tried for her daughter about a purple wall. (Purple seems like a theme). I don't consider myself good at writing stories for kids, and Nehal and her family are the only ones who will read the ones I do write.

I've seen stories she's written for kids and adults, and work that she's posted online. I loved them. Her writing is engaging, and it's wonderful. She writes in all different forms (fiction, non fiction, ect). She's a wife, a mom of two beautiful babies, and is a PhD candidate, a journalist, a writer, and so much more. She writes about what she knows, what she's experienced, what she's learning, and I love learning that extra bit that I didn't know about her before reading her work.

I'm constantly learning from her, and although I wish we didn't live in separate provinces, I consider myself lucky to have met her. Talking to her inspires me (even if only through What'sApp).

I feel selfish because we've spent too much time talking about my writing, and not enough time about her writing. I think I've possibly just assumed that she knows how wonderful she is, and I am more needy in my writing life? I'm hoping that's changing (my part of it). I need to learn more about the giving part of life and writing, and she's somebody I can learn from.

One other things about Nehal and I: we are EXCELLENT singers. We once made a great plan to stand on a street corner and sing until people paid us to quit.     

Ashleigh Mattern http://ashleighmattern.com/

I met Ashleigh three years ago when I started my job. She worked as a Creative Writer for a year before she left to become a full time freelance writer. It was a brave move for her, but as far as I can tell, what she's always wanted to do. I don't think it was without a few kinks, but she's now comfortably freelancing, and works as a journalist, copywriter, and copy editing.

She is also writing a novel. I will be one of her 'test' readers when she finishes her next draft. She was one of the organisers of the writing retreat I went on so I heard a little bit of what she had been writing. It sounded really good, and I am really looking forward to reading it. I can't wait!

She read my novel (the very first draft) for me, and gave me so much great advice. She was really helpful and encouraging!

She is inspiring in the way she goes for what she wants. She has started her career in writing, and continued it for a while now. It's something I'm not brave enough to do. She's also constantly learning about what she writes about, and constantly trying new things.

I love talking about writing with her, and I can't wait to read her novel. 



Anastasia Kozak http://plaza.ufl.edu/kozak/ 

I asked everybody for permission before I started this, and I haven't heard back from her yet. When I hear back, I will give her name and her website (if the answer is yes). Update: I have got the okay!

I haven't read a lot of A's work. I've read things she has written through her website. I know she loves to write though, and is in school with a focus on writing - also working on a Phd.

We met in 1998 (16 years ago) when we travelled around Canada in Katimavik. During that time, I saw her rebellious streak, her individuality, her kind heart, and her great spunk. 

I remember when we decided to make sure we reminded each other how beautiful the other was in the morning. We helped one another with self esteem, I guess. It's a funny memory to have, and I can't remember how it came about.

We wrote to each other after Katimavik and I loved her letters. They were inspirational, honest, fearless and her writing was beautiful and wonderful. That's actually why I was thinking about her as a writer. While packing, I found a letter she had sent me, and it made me miss her. I'm going to write her a letter this weekend (she lives in Florida), and maybe we can start our correspondence again. It's so much nicer than Facebook and email.

I can't wait until I read more of her work, and I hope I get to soon. She's had quite a life, and her experiences have probably helped shape her writing. 

She's always supportive even from far away, and although we don't speak often, I still remember her as a vibrant woman who wrote and drew in her journal throughout our travels. It's really exciting that she is also perusing a dream in writing. It feels like we have both done a lot of growing up since we met.



I seriously, am so grateful that I have so many inspirations in my life, and that I know writers (with lots of talent) that I can also call my friends. 





And as always:

©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.

No comments:

Post a Comment