Friday 3 October 2014

My Life's Purpose?


Sept 26

And now: October 3rd, 2014

It's taken a while for me to write this. I have had it in my drafts since the 26th. I'll finish it today.

This might be my last post for a couple of weeks. If I have a chance, I will do some blogging, but I'm going to be in Ontario for two weeks, and this isn't my priority. Having the best time ever is my priority. 

I've been kind of negligent with "Erin's Writing Life" lately. I'll get back to it when I return. 

Oh, and I'm at work right now, writing this during my lunch hour, and unable to keep still or hold my excitement in because at 4:30 I'll be done work for TWO WEEKS!

As for the actual post... here you go:

Somebody shared this article on Facebook on September 26th:


7 Strange Questions That Help you Find Your Life Purposehttp://markmanson.net/life-purpose/

I'm not answering all these questions. But you should give it a read. I've picked my four favourites. The questions themselves are directly quoted from the blog post, but the answers are my own. This isn't really to find my life's purpose, but because I'm curious. Hey, if I find my purpose, all the better!

"What is true about you today that would make your 8-year-old self cry?"

Good one, right?

Obviously, if you asked me this three years ago, it would have been the fact that I didn't write anymore. I do now.

As I said before, I wrote letters to myself starting at around eight to open when I turned twenty. I may have to look for it and update this a little bit later.


Here are some things my 8-year-old self imagined: I'd be a famous actress. I'd be married to the most popular boy in school (haha). I'd have a lot of friends, and I'd be happy and laughing all the time. She'd also assume I am still writing letters to myself.

Would she cry because I'm not a famous actress? I think she'd be disappointed I wasn't still acting - if only just for fun. I was so shy and awkward as a kid and teenager, acting in school plays was the one thing I could do in front of others and love it! She'd be pretty sad I wasn't still hamming it up.

Married to the most popular boy? Well, before you start picturing a popular boy from Plenty, I need to first explain that this was a whole fantasy in my head, that started with moving out of Plenty. In other words, I knew at eight that my dream boy wasn't in Plenty. Not that I didn't have crushes on eight year old boys, I just don't know that I ever imagined marriage with them. Maybe she would be sad I wasn't married. I'm not though. I'm with the love of my life, she'd be pretty happy about that. (She'd also think he is a hunk).



I have great friends. I'm not sure that eight year old me realised that popularity wasn't the most important thing in the world. I spent too much time trying to fit in when I was little. Once I stopped, I found the best friends I'll ever have. I think she'd be happy with the amount of love and support I have in my life. 

Here is what I think would make her cry (and believe me, I don't think it's much). I think she'd be sad I get stressed out and upset about things so easily. I think she'd want me to focus on the fabulous things. I do, but not enough. Other than that, I think she'd look at my life, and be happy with most of it. She'd be happier if I was still writing letters to myself (now to the 40 year old me). I'm working on that. For her! The little optimist! 



"How can you better embarrass yourself?"

I'm sure life gives me plenty of opportunities to embarrass myself, and I probably don't take advantage like I should.

The only way I get over an embarrassing moment is to relive it over and over. In other words, tell absolutely everybody about the embarrassing this I just did. It really makes life more fun. 

That being said, unless I've had a couple of drinks (a couple is all it takes), I am a bit more 'uptight' (for lack of a better word), than usual. I think my life would be more fun if I allowed myself to be embarrassed just a little bit more.


"Gun to your head, if you had to leave the house all day, every day, where would you go and what would you do?"

If I was forced out of my house, and didn't have to go to work, there are a few ways I'd spend my time. 

  • With my camera, taking pictures of EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE

  • In the library - reading and researching as many topics as I can.
  • With Clint, walking and discovering beautiful places.
  • Driving and discovering places I've never been before.
  • Hanging out with friends and family.


"If you knew you were going to die one year from today, what would you do and how would you want to be remembered."

I'd get my book published. I'd use every last cent I had to get it out there, and promote it.


I'd spend every second I had with Clint, my family, and friends

I'd breathe in the fresh air EVERY DAMN DAY, even it the weather was freezing.

I'd laugh. All the time.

I'd love to say I'd travel the world, but I wouldn't do that unless I could take my loved ones with me. 


Have I found my life's purpose? Not yet, but this did help me to see what I have figured out, and what I can work on. I like it.

Once again, the original article was 7 Strange Questions That Help you Find Your Life Purposehttp://markmanson.net/life-purpose/. It's a good read. I enjoyed his thoughts.

And as always:

©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.

No comments:

Post a Comment