Monday 20 July 2015

My Job

July 20, 2015

Somebody who once worked in the same field as me, told me that they couldn't wait to get out of it because they felt like it took away their creative writing ideas. They felt like it took away the 'spark' for writing.

I'm talking day job. Not night time writing/blogging job. (It's not a job yet, just something I love and should do more.)

I am ridiculously lucky that I am the opposite. I know what this person means. I completely understand those feelings, but luckily, in the last few years, it's had the opposite effect on me.

I'm sure I've mentioned my job before, but before I go on with this post, I'll describe it again. I write commercials. I write scripts for 15, 30 or 60 second spots to air on the radio. I deal a lot with sales people, other Creative writers and radio people, and the clients I write for. 

I've been in this business for a few years. It's what I went into right out of Broadcasting school. I had a short break while I tried out being a radio sales person - but I preferred the Creative Writing. It was possibly the stint as an Account Executive (sales) that made me truly appreciate the Creative Writing job.

I don't see myself changing jobs or companies in the foreseeable future. I have fun writing the commercials (for the most part), and it makes me appreciate the fact that I can go home and write WHAT I WANT. Yes, I spend a lot of time putting a lot of information into a 30 second script, but it doesn't steal my creativity.

Being able to go home and write (or write on my lunch break) helps me enjoy my job. I sometimes feel bad that I didn't choose a career that helps people, and hopefully that's what my evening writing can someday be. 

(Or else I could volunteer).

Now that I think about it, I've never really felt like my Creativity was getting smushed, it really was the lack of helping others. I see my friends doing amazing things for others, and I wish I had more of that. I don't get a lot of that in my job, and that's not an insult to what I do for a living, it's just the truth. It's a fact. I don't get to help people, and I'd like to use my writing to do that. (That being said, the company I work for do a lot of volunteering, and sponsoring of events, and I have been lucky enough to be included in them).




I would not go so far as to say that my current writing is inspiring. I try my hardest, but I'd say most of my posts are just me rambling. I think my book is good (someday, it will be great), and it is emotional, but I don't know if it will help people, and I don't think I'd call it inspiring. 

That's not to say I won't get there. I just have to live more life. Experience more. Learn more. Write more. 

I have a lot of work to do to complete my writing goals, and writing this post makes me realise I'm not even close to where I want to be. (I HAVE TO WRITE!)

However, I am grateful I have a job full of great co-workers, that allows me to use my creativity in ads. I'm grateful that I don't leave this job sick of writing. If anything, I feel like my writing truly started after I started working with this company. I wouldn't give all the credit (or even most of it) to my job because a lot in my life had changed as well, but I'm incredibly lucky to still love writing. I'm glad that after a day of writing scripts, I can still use personal writing for stress relief, or to get my thoughts out, or to write or edit a book.

This wasn't one of the posts I've had started. However, it is a writing blog, and this is specifically about my love for writing. No matter what kind it is. I have been thinking about it for a while, and am finally getting around to putting words on 'paper'. 

Now, I need to get back at my novel editing, or none of what I just wrote will matter.

Thanks for reading. 


Some inspiration from one of my best friends about 17 years ago. She inspires me, and others, every day. I still have this around.


As always,


"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.

Also, check out my ongoing book blog:  Proud Bookworm at: http://bookserinread.blogspot.ca/ 

Blogs I used to write on but not being updated:
and

No comments:

Post a Comment