Thursday 4 June 2015

Manuscript Evaluation

June 4, 2015

The Envelope: 
On Monday (June 1st), I came home to a package. It's one of the many things that has happened lately, that I plan to write about. I'm choosing this one first because it is directly related to my writing, and it's going to help me get back to writing, and get back to trying to publish my novel. I also spoke about it on Facebook, with the promise that I would be blogging about it soon. So here I go.

I opened the front door, and the envelope fell out from between the doors. I recognised the hand writing on it as my own, so knew what it was. 

More than a month ago (possibly two), I sent away my manuscript to the Saskatchewan Writer's Guild to have somebody evaluate it for me. It was suggested in my first 'no thanks' letter to have it evaluated. 

An anonymous author reads my novel, and then sends back an evaluation. They don't check for grammar or anything like that, they simply, write comments and suggestions.




I'll be perfectly honest about how I was feeling before opening it: I was scared. The person reading it, may not have liked it. I set it on my desk, and walked away until I thought my skin was thick enough for any sort of negative response.

I actually didn't wait long before going back into the office and opening it up. Let's be honest, I have no patience, and I had already been waiting for months to receive this. 

I also want to move on from the writing standstill I feel I'm at.

My Evaluation: 
The response was nice. It was encouraging, it made me feel like maybe with a little more work (or a lot), I WILL get my novel published. He or She (no idea who responded), gave suggestions on how to add more to the novel, and had some comments about structure. 

I'm sharing the first page of the letter. There were three pages of comments, but the others focus more on specifics. Plus, this one was the 'feel good' page. I liked it! 

I don't know if I've ever given the plot of my novel on here. I spoke about characters and settings, but never the plot. Mostly because I haven't gotten the description correct in my head or on paper yet. The evaluation describes it well, so now you'll see what I wrote about (and possibly why I find it hard to describe.)

If you click on the picture, you should be able to read it.



I have confidence that my novel will someday be published. I personally, think it's a great idea, and a great novel. HOWEVER, every bit of encouragement helps me out. Sometimes, I don't push myself as hard as I should to keep going, and getting this evaluation came at the right time. 

I plan to go through the manuscript page by page so I can decide where the story needs to be changed, what I can add, and what I can remove. After I'm done with the hard copy, I'll make the changes on the computer. 

After that, I will send it to another publisher. 

This standstill came at a good time because I've been busy with other things (as you'll see in the next few posts), but it will be good to get back to writing. 

I won't quit. I won't give up.

As always,


"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.

Also, check out my ongoing book blog:  Proud Bookworm at: http://bookserinread.blogspot.ca/ 

Blogs I used to write on but not being updated:
and

No comments:

Post a Comment