Friday 1 September 2017

Mommy Update

September 1, 2017


Last week, I did a writing post. This week, I'll do a Mom post.

My partner has driven off to Ontario. He took our dog as well. He's going to work there until I meet up with him at the end of the month, and then HOPEFULLY he'll be coming home. (I'll be flying, and he'll be driving).

Hugging Drogo goodbye.

I'm used to him leaving. Although, we've been lucky enough to spend the summer together so it's still hard. Anthony is now at the age where he loves spending time with his Daddy (as do I), and it was sad to see them say goodbye.

I'm not used to being away from Drogo. When C is gone, I still have Drogo sharing my bed. He's always underfoot in the most loving way possible. He's always there for a snuggle.

Not to mention Anthony LOVES him. The dog doesn't love Anthony. He may like the break. 

Long story short, I'm already missing him like crazy. I should be happy to not have a 100 pound dog sharing my bed, but I miss him. I miss my huge love bug. 

So basically, I'm solo parenting it for a month. Not a single parent (thank goodness, I would not be able to handle the stress), but solo parenting. I've done it before, but it's always hard after a good amount of time with him.

Which brings me to my original topic. I had planned to write this a while ago, but of course, I did not get to it. 

The reason I am able to handle solo parenting for a month is because I am lucky enough to have a wonderful Mom crew. 

It's also easier now because I've learned to ask for help when I need it. Actually, I don't know if that's true. I'm still no good at asking for help, but if I'm desperate, I know I've got support.

A few weeks ago, I shared a post on FB and Instagram about how lonely it is to be a Mom, and why we need to find help, and make sure to reach out to friends.

I posted it next to a photo of me in front of a Social Mom bus. Here is what I said:

"I probably should write a blog post about this because I have a lot to say (shocking, no?) Too late.
I went to see what this is all about today. I met some Saskatoon moms, and the Social Mom crew talked about about why they started it. (I'll explain in my own words.)
Reason number one is loneliness. It's so strange to think that being a Mom is a lonely job, but many times it is. Mom friends REALLY help. 
My first month was tough as hell. I was momming it on my own after Clint went back to work, and I didn't ask for help as much as I should have. I didn't know many other moms around. I'd say feeling lonely, with a bit of anxiety, and not being able to ask for help were the hardest part of being a new mom. I thought I should be able to do it alone.
I met my first Mom friend when our babes were both a month old. We met through FB, and met up in person. It was lovely to talk to somebody who was in the same place at the same time. It helped.
Since then, I've been lucky enough to find myself a great mom crew. From momma's who have been momma's for a while, to people I have known all my life, to people I would never have met if not for my pregnancy/baby.
If you're a new mom, and feeling lost, or pregnant and worried there are so MANY options!
I met a great friend through Fitbump when we were both pregnant. Now we have playdates when we can. Our babies are about 12 hours apart in age. Fitbump is a place for exercise, but also a place you can meet people and talk. Real talk. Not everything is wonderful talk. Real, non judgemental talk. I went for prenatal classes, mom and baby classes, and am doing boot camp with daycare now.
Mommy Connections is another great option. You meet tons of other moms as well as learn about all the mom activities Saskatoon has to offer. (There are many.)
I could go on and on. It helps getting out of the house when you're feeling down (or mom-sausted). 

The library has programs for kids too. (Free). A mom crew is key!
And of course, there is the Mom app social that I went to today. I checked out the app. It kind of felt like Plenty of Fish (dating app) for Moms. Lol. But it also has places to talk and respond to everyone.
While there I was interviewed by CBC radio, so tune in tomorrow at 7:40. Although to me, it sounded like stuttering blah blah blah. For somebody who went to broadcasting school, and worked in radio, I've really forgotten how to speak.
I may end up writing a blog post about this anyway, so if you have any mom suggestions let me know.
Mom rant done. (But is it?)"


Basically, if you can find yourself a Mom crew, you should! It helps to have people to talk to. It helps to have people to understand.

Lately, I've come to realise, it also helps Anthony. We started Bootcamp Fitbump classes. Anthony is with the babies for an hour while his mom sweats a lot. Although, he is with me most of the time, he hasn't had trouble at all in the childcare. It's only an hour, but he's busy doing his own thing or playing with the other babies. I think having him near other kids (almost from birth) has helped him a lot. 

He's getting to the age now where he has a blast with other babies. It's good because I have a blast with the Moms. 

I'm happy I have people in my life I can call friends, and I know are around (and they know I am as well). I hope he grows up with the same friends, and with gratitude for having them. 

I was hoping to do some research to talk about more Mom and Baby opportunities in Saskatoon. There are quite a few Mom and Baby exercise and yoga classes. There are music classes. There are library programs. It's never ending if you look. Mommy Connections helps you find them.

This is us with our grateful faces. Lucky to have the friends we do.


That's it for now. Thanks for reading.

“Exercise the writing muscle every day, even if it is only a letter, notes, a title list, a character sketch, a journal entry. Writers are like dancers, like athletes. Without that exercise, the muscles seize up.”


― Jane Yolen





"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
Ralph Waldo Emerson


©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.


Also, check out my ongoing book blog:  Proud Bookworm at: http://bookserinread.blogspot.ca/ 

I occasionally do guest Mom posts for a local Mommy Connections blog. Check them out, and others here:
 http://www.mommyconnections.ca/saskatoon/category/mommy-connections-news/

Blogs I used to write on but not being updated:
and

No comments:

Post a Comment