Wednesday 19 November 2014

My First Work Family

November 19th, 2014

I realised today that I haven't lived in one place for more than five years since I moved away from Plenty (17 years ago).  I'm not sure if that's good or bad. It seems strange, actually. I was talking to a coworker who has been with the company for more than 10 years, and I thought about the fact that I hadn't had a job for longer than five years, but it's not because I'm a flake (really!), it's because I haven't stayed in one place for that long since I graduated high school.

This week, I've been thinking about family, friends, and jobs.

Throughout my life, I've had  a lot of jobs. I've always enjoyed (most of) the people I've worked with, but I've never felt like I've had a work family. I didn't know I needed one. I always had somebody who made work more enjoyable, but until I moved to Melfort, Saskatchewan to work at my first radio station, I didn't realise what a work family was.

I didn't know I was walking into a building that was full of caring, wonderful, funny people. I didn't know they would impact my life for the better.

Even though radio jobs aren't always forever, I still found a family. It's a revolving door of people coming and going. Some go to other radio stations, some are just interns, some leave for other jobs, and some... some stay. I didn't stay, but I did stay with the family. I worked there for only a year before moving to Whitecourt. It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make. While my social life in Melfort was lacking (as well as single men), I absolutely loved my job and the people I worked with. 

I remember a coworker asking me if I always cry as much as I did that week before I left. I never had before leaving a job. I was truly sad to leave my work family.


Luckily, the station in Whitecourt was a sister station, so they were all an email or phone call away, and I still occasionally saw some of them on visits to Whitecourt. This new station was a family as well, I'm sure they learned it from the original station. 

I went through a lot when I was in Whitecourt, and I always knew that both stations had my back. I knew they would be there if I needed to talk, cry, or vent. I had a few more jobs while living in Whitecourt, and suffice to say, they were NOT the radio stations.

Maybe it's just the radio family life. We're all connected some how. It feels like family now as well, but I'll never forget my first family. They were always the first ones to message or talk to me when I had my own hard times (even in Saskatoon).

You know the crossroads in life? Where one choice or moment changes everything? (Like the movie Sliding Doors?) Well this was one of the biggest in my life. It's not often I look back at any other moment, and think, 'What if'?' I do with this decision. What I I had decided to stay in Melfort? My life would have been very different. For the better? Who knows. It was just a hard decision to leave.

I'm lucky, and I'm grateful for them. I don't think I told them this enough, but it's my fact of life. 

I've been sad this week about a loss somebody I used to work with is going through. Life isn't fair, and it's down right scary sometimes, and I just hope he's able to take comfort in family and the family of coworkers. He's an example to follow when it comes to caring and support - the biggest example. I know from experience how great both he and the rest of my past coworkers are. My heart is breaking for him. I hate loss, and just wish nobody has to experience it. 

I think the best words of advice I got after personal loss was to lean on those around me. That advice came from one of my past coworkers.





One more thing, if somebody is looking to donate money this holiday season, I just donated to the Canadian Mental Health Association. I donated to the Saskatchewan division, but you can donate to any location. It's something that's constantly talked about, but I've never donated. I'm glad I did. Canadian Mental Health Association. I donated specifically in support to Writing For Life because I know how writing can change lives, and hopefully make a bad moment better, but there are a lot of programs to support.


I'll have a writing recap next time. Today, isn't about the day.
And as always:




©ErinLeahMcCrea All photos I share on my blogs are my own, please Ask Me For Permission Before Using Them.


No comments:

Post a Comment